Friday, August 21, 2009

The Time Travelers Wife Review

The Time Travelers Wife (2009)

1.5/4

Ever wondered how people can fall in love with a guy who disappear simultaneously. I cant, yet people write about it. It actually became a best seller. Sometimes I wonder if I wrote some weird book about teleporting people that I will become a best selling author. HAHAHA, who knows. Eric Bana and Rachael McAdams team up as this hot couple in this ever confusing and breakable drama fixated by alcohol and abortion.

The plot follows Henry(Bana) as this guy who time travels often when he is in stress. During his travels, he meets young Clare(McAdams) who he falls in love with in the near future. Which comes to my question. If he randomly disappears because he's in stress, does that mean he's in stress with Clare all the time? Hmmm, I dont know but it seems that way. The plot becomes quite simple from there. They get married and from there experience difficulties that normal couples would experience exept without the time traveling. Clare experiences several miscarriages and often argue with her "lover". Which leads me to another question. She loves him yet most of the times shes mad at him, why is that? Well just like she said, "Who would want that". Who would want a man who disappears without question. Who would want to wait for their entire life for love. Well Clare or McAdams. Apparently you do. So why the bitching.

Sometimes I never fully understand their situation. Theres a particular scene in which can make you draw your own question. I will let you decide. But for a clue. There are to many Henry's to pass around. So this film relies on something more. And thats Star Power. Rachael and Eric is going to have to fix up some good chemistry to outwiegh its stupid plot. They actually do. The few positives that appear in this film. I like Eric Bana as an actor and his ability to charm along with his co star make his character all the more likable. McAdams suprised me a bit herself. I enjoyed her performance that as the film goes on seems to be shortlived.

Book lovers might find this film a lot better then some outsider like me. Its easy to draw comparisons and if its loyal to the novel, then its all good. For people like me who could care less would find themself utterly confused on this complicated nature of unlikely patience and love. A film that relies to much on star power easily degenerates to typical formulatic romantic dramas that never cease to end as long as people still read about love. A horrible film that latches on the backbone of McAdams and the predictable elements that arise in this overgrown romantic love story.

No comments:

Post a Comment